Thursday, March 27, 2008

Living lavishly in Buenos Aires, Argentina

I have been in Buenos Aires for almost a week now. It is a very neat, cosmopolitan city with French architecture, wide avenues lined with cafes and shops, shady parks that rival Central Park (NYC), and plenty to do and see! On the first day of my arrival, I decided to live like an Argentinean and have dinner at 10:00 pm, go home to take a nap, and then go to a smoky nightclub from 2:30 to 4:30 am. Very exhausting, to say the least, but I had to try it!

The next day, I joined 60,000 others to watch a live futbol game between Boca and Colon. Futbol (soccer) is a national obsession and to witness this live is quite an experience. Tourists are advised to sit in the more expensive bleachers but I had the opportunity of going with some locals, therefore standing in the popular section. Here, you witness some of the most passionate soccer fans singing at the top of their lungs, nonstop, through the entire duration of the game! I have never seen so much pride, swearing, and pure machismo on display. Nonetheless, I had a great time!

It is very cheap here. For $1, I can lunch on Choripan, Argentina's answer for a hot dog, which is chorizo on french bread with chimichurri sauce. Then for dinner, I have the option of going to a nice restaurant for a juicy steak and glass of red for $8. I also love the casseroles here. The other night, I ordered a purred pumpkin casserole with spinach, cheese, and honey. Delicious and only $3! We've had a free place to stay at our friend Aaron's temporary apartment and in exchange for accommodation, we buy groceries, help cook, and clean.

I was supposed to travel by bus alone tomorrow to visit my high school friend, Valeria, in Cordoba. However, I just went to the bus station and learned that there are cacerolazos (protests) blocking main roads in and out of Buenos Aires! Farmers have been protesting for two weeks now over raised export taxes (44%) on their products. It doesn't look like there is any end in sight but hopefully the traffic jams will ease over the weekend so that buses can pass.

Love and miss you all.

3 comments:

timtraveler said...

Hey!

Maybe you should think about opening the "Argentina Center" for our family? I think a number of us would consider annual visits!

From your description, it's sounding like a great place to get away from it all (and the price is right!)

You're so lucky to have an apartment!

Love,

D-O

timtraveler said...

Hah!

I forgot to mention the "strikes" (or protests)! (As in many places,) it's a fact of life in Argentina.

When speaking of plans, you've got to preface your statements with "if there's not a strike..."

As you said, you just have to "go with the flow".

Anonymous said...

I'd definitely come and visit the Argentina Center.

love,
Mom