Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dispatch From Istanbul (As in Turkey!)






(e-mail to Dad)

It is very exciting to be here in Istanbul! I feel worlds away. Just checked into a hostel near Sultanahmet Square after a very long flight on a Boeing 747 (some scary turbulence!). Lots of mosques, carpets, whirling dervishes, and women with scarves wrapped around their heads. I love that, despite the modernization of such a place, you can still get a feel for their traditions.

We do not even have a guide book (talk about going with the flow) but I checked with the tourist information office and grabbed some useful information on sites. I did not realize Turkey has so many neat historical points of interest ... such as Troy and Esphesus, as well as some famous Greek mythical sites. I am thrilled!

Anyway, we will probably stay here in the city only for 2-3 days since it is a steep USD$26 a night for a dorm room!

1 comment:

sultanahmet said...

I was there. Sultanahmet is like a dream.